Friday, January 2, 2009

Update, plus a nice note from Midnight Clear viewer

In the next couple of days, I should be getting the revised screenplay for my next film from the screenwriters. I'm doing a film currently entitled The Call, and it's basically a faith-based take on films like Family Man, It's a Wonderful Life, etc., films where the protagonist is allowed a glimpse of an alternate life. We're hoping to shoot sometime in March, depending on how the script continues to develop. I'll keep you updated, of course, and once we start pre-production, I'll be doing a weekly blog, and once we start shooting, I'll be doing a daily video blog.

We've also decided that Riven, the book my Dad wrote that came out last year (and for my money, is his best book), is going to be the second film in the Jenkins/Pureflix partnership. We will be talking to screenwriters in the next couple of weeks and hope to be in production by the end of the year. I'm actually going to send a letter to Joe Eszterhas, the famous screenwriter of Basic Instinct, Flashdance, Music Box, and Jagged Edge, among others, who recently became a Christian. I know it's a long shot, but I think he'd be interested in some of the films we're doing. His books are incredible (any aspiring filmmaker should read The Devil's Guide to Hollywood), including his recent one, Crossbearer, which is about his conversion. Maybe Riven will strike a chord, or perhaps Youngest Hero, which is about baseball, one of his great loves. We'll see.

I recently allowed a church in Florida to show Midnight Clear at their monthly "dinner and a movie" night. They have a ministry to the homeless and thought that my film could speak to some of those who struggle around Christmas. I just received the following note from the organizer, which meant a lot:

Thank you so much for blessing our socks off with letting us play your movie. Remember me I go to the little church on the west coast of FL that works with and helps the homeless. We had our movie night in December, I myself was a little disappointed with our numbers that night, we didn't have as many people as usual, but God still worked in amazing ways. Most of them we won't know until we reach Heaven. I did find out today, as I was talking with of our homeless guys after church today, that your movie "Midnight Clear" made a huge impact with at least one person this Christmas. Tommy has been missing for awhile from our church and wasn't at church for the Christmas Eve service (as he had promised he would be). He told me tonight, that he was laying in the woods (his "home") singing Christmas carols to himself. It was one of the loneliest Christmas' he ever had, he plans on next Christmas already will be different. He also mentioned that thinking about the movie "Midnight Clear" helped him get through it (he didn't even know I organize it). He kept thinking about different scenes in the movie and how it related to him. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I know you will never know on this side of Heaven what kind of an impact you made. It helps the guys to know that they are not throw away people that they too can still make an impact in someones life. Keep up the good work and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment